The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Ignition Problem after plug gapping

Truck was running nearly perfect but gas mileage was a little low and power seemed off and it has been 40-50K miles since I looked at the plugs (standard plugs, not platinum).
I'm running a Skip White Distrib. and have had no problems in years.

Ok, so I broke a plug while tightening it due to carelessness. I needed to move the truck to get my car out so I could drive to the parts store. I usually ground a free plug wire before I start the engine but I wasn't thinking too well today and started it up with the one wire hanging loose unattached. I just ran for about 1 1/2 minute to move the truck out of the way.

After installing the new plug and finishing the re-gap job (they were all at ~.055", now .045) I fired it up and there was a dead cylinder. I pulled the wire from the new plug and the idle seemed to stay the same. I pulled and grounded the plug and noticed a weak orange spark instead of a crisp blue one. I then put a different new plug in there and same result. The truck idles very poorly and there may be another dead cylinder, not sure because sun was down and I quit for dinner.

My question is; Can running for a minute and a half under 1500 RPM with one plug wire off cause damage to the electronics in a High Energy Ignition system?

Or maybe I cracked some other plugs?

Or some wires started to come apart at the ends?

I'm pretty bummed, I have to miss a day of work tomorrow during my crazy busy season. Thanks- WL

Oh, I only disconnected one plug at a time so there is no chance of incorrect routing.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote