The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Show off/tell about your ignition and cam set-ups

Hey guys I've been reading a lot about distributors and timing, as well as cams and what all the specific numbers on a cam card mean. What I'm specifically wondering about is how you guys with good sized cams (.480"-.600" or bigger) set up your distributors as far as springs/weights/lock out. What have you found that your engine combo likes best as far as base (initial) timing, mechanical or centrifugal timing, and vacuum advance. How do you get a cam with big duration or LSA's in the 106-108 range to run decent on the street? How do you set them up on the street as opposed to when you get to the track? Feel free to make conversation about the topic because I've been reading ALOT but nothin beats the experience of guys who have been building/tuning motors as long as I've been alive.

My setup right now is a 355 with a comp 280H cam (230 duration @.50 on a 110lsa) and around 10-1. So far I haven't ordered the parts to customize my distributor but a mechanical advance lockout is in my near future. I noticed that it runs much better with about 16-18* initial but that puts my total way over 36*. My timing is all in by 3200 rpm so I'm going to stick with the springs I have.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote