The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
Kell

Potential Blazer owner questions

Please be patient with my newbie questions.

Test drove my first Blazer today, 1972 4wd, auto, PS PB 350. I have a few questions before making an offer on it. I have driven tons of old trucks, I know what an old truck is supposed to drive like, but I have not driven any old 4wd trucks. The steering was pretty darty, it did not wander around at all, just when you made corrections or a turn it wanted to turn a little too much, the only word I can think for it is darty. When I got out I eyeballed the toe in and it seemed a little excessive but not sure that would cause it.

Is this normal for a solid axle front suspension with leaf springs? I'm not crazy about turning my son or wife loose in it the way it is.

If I were to get this one, or one like it, can the transmission be swapped for an OD transmission? What transmission comes on here, just a standard TH350? This would be a daily driver type vehicle, I would need it to be able to tow a trailer with mid sized tractors and pretty good size loads of hay, is this vehicle up to the task?

Vehicle is solid, has had floorboards and rockers replaced by someone who did a pretty good job, some repainting, overall it is really solid and well maintained except the seats are extremely rough, no carpet etc. Why are these vehicles priced so high? they seem to be anywhere from 2-5k more than an equivalent 4wd truck, is that normal? What is an average "driver" price on these? I know that's a hard question without seeing it but is there a range for non-show vehicles that need some love?

thanks in advance!