The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
zghorner

1965 Chevy Turbo LS Project Ahead, Need Advice

howdy everyone, needing some guidance on turning my '65 chevy into a street terror. Posting this here because my questions are mainly about improving the brakes and suspension, not so much the LS swap (although any input there is more than welcome).

A little history -> my grandpa gave the truck to my dad who did his best to hotrod it in the 80's. It got parked in our driveway in the early 90’s and thats where it sat nearly my entire childhood...except when it snowed he would fire it up and take us kids to an empty parking lot for some donuts haha. Anywho, my dad gave it to me about 8 years ago and I got it running and driving…it’s a ton of fun, 283 sbc and a 4 speed Saginaw transmission out of a camaro. I blew out reverse one winter and it has been parked now for around 5 years. I recently sold my ’87 buick grand national and #1 I miss having a fast toy, #2 its been a long time coming to get this truck back on the road.

I was planning on buying another G-body and doing a junk yard turbo LS / 4L80E swap…but I have made my mind up to do the transplant in this truck. Luckily I have a good friend that happens to have an 8 sec turbo ls fox body and incredibly knowledgeable with these motors as well as a local speed shop that specializes in tuning LS stuff.

This is going to be a budget street truck, not a pro tour show truck. Its ugly rusty green and I plan on keeping it that way exactly. Goal is to have 700whp and be able to hop on the highway and cruise for an hour.

What I am looking for mainly is any advice on simple junk yard type upgrades for the suspension and brakes. Any later model stuff that easily bolts onto these trucks that would be an upgrade from the original ’65 equipment? What would you guys recommend I do with the factory 12 bolt rear end? Replace it or rebuild for limited slip? Also looking to lower the truck a bit so any advice there is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone I appreciate any help.
zghorner is offline   Reply With Quote