The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Use BOTH trans coolers, or just one?

Ok so I'm wondering how to go about cooling my trans but also worried about having too many fittings/bends/clamps. My radiator has a built in trans cooler with hard lines and cools the th400 just fine. Temp never goes above 140 even uphill when it's 75* outside. I added a B&M Holeshot 3000 converter and still it never goes above 150* while driving around. I decided to try and launch it, footbraked it to around 3000rpm and held that for a couple seconds and then let and launched. I went through 1st and 2nd everything went great (besides traction which I have none of now with the converter and mini spool lol) and I cruised it on home watching the temps. Engine temp quickly went back down to 185* like it always does, but the trans temp went up to 200*-205* and it stayed there all the way home which was about 5 minutes. Right after the hard launch when I stopped to check the gauges and make sure nothing went wrong, the trans temp spiked just for 30 seconds or so to 210* and then went down for the drive home.

It seems like the built in cooler in the radiator is good enough unless I'm foot braking real hard, but I want to get the trans cooling a little more stable than that, and maybe not see quite as high of spikes after hard launching.

My options are add a plate style cooler and mount it in the front of the radiator, and tie it into the system with the built in cooler. This is the option I was talking about when I mentioned having to many fittings and clamps because that's more parts to fail or leak and have something go wrong.

Another option would be just have a big plate style cooler and either mount it in front of the radiator, or somewhere under the bed with a small auxiliary fan mounted to it. It seems I would also gain more fluid capacity by mounting a plate cooler in back somewhere, because I'd have about 12 more feet of line.

What do you guys with big stalls run in yours? And what are your temps cruising and when foot braking or driving it hard?
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote