The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Super_Dave

Bed Alignment

While BABA YAGA! patiently waits for numerous parts to arrive, I am looking ahead to additional modifications.

One of the mods in question, involves the possibility of a slight 2/4 drop with spindles and axle flip. However, when I put the 305's on the back, (couldn't resist a full 12"...) I noticed that the fender lip was, for all intents and purposes, barely touching the sidewall. So, I have been contemplating rolling or trimming the lip so, should I decide I do not like the current stance, I can do the 2/4.

As luck would have it, I stopped by the shop to see what all had arrived from several vendors. While there, and having been disappointed on deliveries yet again, I decided to double check the clearance on both sides of the rear wheel wells. The drivers side was just as it was previously. However, the passengers side, which I had never checked initially, had nearly a full 3/4" clearance.

I viewed this revelation as good news and figured one of two things must be in play. Either the axle or bed must not be centered. Since the axle has a locator, I am leaning toward the bed being off-center. Does this sound reasonable?

Having never removed the bed before, can anyone tell me if there is 3/8" side-to-side adjustment in the mounting holes? I can always hog them out if necessary but thought I would toss it out there for current and future reference purposes.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote