The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
kajf9491

Smoke out of the passenger tail pipe - HELP!

Alright ladies & Gents,

I just got my truck running again, and for some reason there is a good amount of smoke coming out of the passenger exhaust. There is a little out the driver side but nothing I wouldn't call abnormal. The passenger side however leaves a pretty good cloud if it's sitting running for a couple of minutes. I apologize for what is about to be a long winded history of my truck, but I feel like some of this may be important for helping diagnose my problem. I had the truck running & driving but certainly not road worthy. Had to deal with some electrical clean-up and do some odds and ends like install fuel pressure gage and tachometer so I can diagnose the truck a little. Long story short it ended up sitting a little while and I went through the all too common carburetor issues of fuel turning to varnish. Once cleaned, I found out my floats had holes in them somehow, so I replaced those. Finally got the truck up and running today and for some reason there is much more smoke coming out of the passenger exhaust than there ever has been. There was also a louder clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine while it was running. I assumed that for some reason I needed to check my valve lash. As I did the standard "loosen until you hear it click then tighten a 1/4 turn process" it started smoking more out of the exhaust. I got all of the valves adjusted and the loud rattling went away but now it's smoking more. I've been reading that if it's white smoke it means there's coolant/water getting in the oil and if it's bluefish it's burning oil but I honestly can't tell. Just looks like smoke to me. Doesn't really seem to have a distinctive smell to it either. This is troublesome to me because I didn't have this problem when the truck last ran, and I didn't touch anything except some wiring and the carburetor. Oh, I must mention I did start using ethanol free gasoline as well. I tried taking pictures and those didn't really work that well, so I took a quick video and have posted it to youtube. If you'd be kind enough to chime in and make any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (Please ignore the rust!)
https://youtu.be/-3Dusp2cOLY
kajf9491 is offline   Reply With Quote