The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
69sixpackbee

Header Owners...Question About Them

I am contemplating putting a set of headers on my 402 camper-hauling-around truck but am a little hesitant in doing so. Are the performance increases really worth the addition on a stock engine or is it a waste of time and money? My 402 has a "grunt" cam and an Edelbrock Performer intake w/stock Q'jet. It is a 4-speed with dual 2 1/2" exhausts. I know from experience that headers are a leaking PITA if not "kept up" on not to mention the added under hood temperature. What I do know is that on an even mildly built engine the performance increase is noticable but as long as the jetting is fattened up and the engine can breathe well by virtue of increased valve timing then it is a worth while investment. I just don't want the headache of fitment problems or negligeable performance increases if I am going through the trouble of buying them, putting them on and having to keep them sealed. Please guide me in the direction I need to go.
Thanx!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote