The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
dads longhorn

My stupid mistake live and learn

My 1971 C20 doesn't start in reverse. It must be in park. That's the short story. The longish story is I went to start the truck after it sitting for two weeks and nothing. The red "Brake" light came on but nothing else. I assumed it was the 8 + year old battery finally quit. I tried jumping it with two different jumper cables on both batteries, had the volt ohm meter out to see if I could tell which battery had any juice , I even inspected the wiring in the engine! After 20 minutes jumping I called AAA to come jump the battery and to bring a new battery with them. It only got worse from there. AAA doesn't sell or install batteries and their battery company won't install outside city limits (I'm probably 5 minutes outside the city). So AAA would tow me into town where I could meet the battery install company. But the Battery company doesn't know what kind of battery to put in since it's such an old truck so they can't do it. It gets worse still and the bureaucracy and the frustration mounts. Well finally the tow truck arrives and I go to make sure the truck is in neutral before pulling it up onto the bed of the tow truck. It wasn't. It was in reverse. (Where I stupidly left it last time I drove it) So I put it in park and it started right up. I let the tow driver go home. I immediately drove to sears for a new battery and am expecting to wait 4-5 hours in line for the install. All on a holiday. Oh brother. So much time, frustration waisted! But hey after I get over feeling stupid I will realize I learned a good lesson without much consequence. Live and learn the stupid way!!!!

Last edited by dads longhorn; 05-30-2016 at 05:29 PM.
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote