The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Dad's72

Machine Shop

Hey y'all. I live in Austin, Texas and am just starting to work on my 72. I have a question for y'all in the Texas area. Have any of y'all used South Austin Machine Shop in Austin or Montoya Machine Shop in San Antonio or heard anything about them?
I have heard some good things about S. Austin Machine Shop and I called to get a quote. To flux, deck, hone, bore 30 over, polish the crank, new pistons, rings, bearings, rebuild the heads (basically a full long block) for a decent price. And they will assemble.

Now over in San Antonio at Montoya's Machine Shop they will do all the same with the rebuild kit for $800 but they do not assemble.

It is an extra $350 to have it assembled, or would y'all do it yourself? Also, when I talked to them they had advised that a 3 angle valve job and polish isn't worth the money just to cruise around with the stock heads. They said it would last a little longer but not really give a performance boost worth the cost.

Input? Any of y'all running stock heads rebuild with good performance results?

My last thread got removed and I think it was because it had prices in it. So I will try it again with no pricing. Just looking for input.
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote