The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
WOLFMANmike

What a complete catastrophe

So here's the deal my truck started making a winding noise this sounded like it was coming from the transmission so last weekend me and my friend did a transmission swap for a new transmission in my truck what should have been an easy swap turned into a disaster because the previous owner POS syndrome had put in a turbo 350 trans and then I guess he couldn't fight with the transmission long enough to get the bolt holes to line up on the rear crossmember so what did the idiot do? he welds the crossmember to the frame Yep transmission not coming out unless we get that crossmember out so we broke the welds and did the trans swap lo and behold fight with it enough and you can both sit in with the bolts through the holes in the frame transmission swap done problem fixed? No drove truck around still Made terrible winding sound come to find out it's the rear end ..bearing on the pinion so I had to track down a rear end for my truck as I could not afford $1,200 for a rebuild of mine well needless to say after some searching I finally found one it was already rebuilt by somebody who's in the Driveline business and does it at home for a hobby fixes these rear ends so I buy it for a 65 because my truck is a 65 anyway getting home get ready to throw in the new rear end and find out that it's not going to work right away until I can get an adjustable track bar because the previous owner it looks like through in a 62 -63 rear end and forced it to work in my 65 the track bar is a different length on that rear end then what's supposed to be in my truck it looks like the track bar is bent and so is the bolt holding it into the stock bracket the new rear end the bracket for the track bar is actually part of the pumpkin flange so my buddy Mike ordered me 1965 adjustable track bar from classic trucks as he was saying he thinks he can trust them and what they say over CPP saying that their,s is for a 63 to 70 here are some pictures to show what I'm dealing with what do you guys think?
Attached Images

WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote