The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
1969guy

Need help with body alignment!

Hey there all, been working on my 71 C20 as of late and need some tips on body alignment and frame leveling.

So far I attempted to level the frame but failed. Not only do I have mismatched wheels and tires, but no level surface either. I started by leveling the front(in front of the cab) by jacking it up and putting blocks underneath the front rails, so the wheels were hanging and set the level centered over the non used engine stand holes (for v8) on the frame rail. So at this point the front was level side to side in the front. Then next using two seperate jacks I raised up the rear underneath the trailing arms (may have been my problem but not sure) and leveled it front to back on both rails. After that the front was not level anymore and the rear was no where near either.

Is there any order to which leveling would be easier? Side to side in the front and rear first, then front to back? Or reverse that? Right now the bed and cab are on it and have bolt set in place for rough positioning.

Next with the body, the bed after putting new 3/4 ton bushings under the cab, sits about 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch lower(estimation). So I know that I will need to either raise up the bed or cut down the cab mounts for better alignment. What is easier aligning the bed to the cab or cab to the bed. I plan on using this truck after its done so I'd rather not raise the bed.

Anyone have a good order of sequence for body? Bed, cab, then front clip? Or cab, front clip, then bed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Evan
1969guy is offline   Reply With Quote