The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
MMLX89

Need Driveline Diagnostic Help

Long story short (ish), I bought a 72 C-10 Short bed recently. Drivetrain is late model 5.3l backed by 4L65E. I drove it for about 150 miles with no issues, until one day the drivetrain locked up on me (grinding,whining, then failure). I dropped the trans pan to see no metal, then looked in rear and saw it was almost dry, and metal in the case.

Took it to a shop where rear end was rebuilt with 373's, and then determined that as part of the failure it took out the sunshell in the trans. I then replaced the transmission with a re-manufactured unit from Geared Up Transmissions out of Florida.

Got the truck back and there is a noticeable whining/grinding on deceleration and even more so when turning right. Shop says the driveshaft is too long, so I had it shortened. Problem is still there....

They are now saying it needs a 1 piece DS, but I don't believe a deceleration and right turn problem is the driveshaft. I don't want to throw any more money at the issue without concrete details. My gut feeling says axle bearings could be responsible for the noise. Does that make sense as the next logical place to look?
MMLX89 is offline   Reply With Quote