The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
stesch_c10

My new wood bed.

After picking up the truck and loading my dog one time, I knew it was going to need a new floor. (Holes and splinters suck) I've read many threads and websites and finally decided on a plan.

Picture of Dog. His name is Omen

I started to tear it apart and found out that its going to be easier to cut the bolts, rather then soak them in skunk p*ss and try to unscrew them.

I decided to hide the bed bolts under the wood, as well as cut all the pieces of wood the same width. I also decided that this truck will be used to haul things (like it was suppose to) and I have a construction company. So from time to time it will haul wood, materials and tools.

So with that plan I just went with #2 Pine 1x8x10' (I still don't know why gm didn't make it 96" long, an even 8', why the extra 1"!)
Anyway.

I then ripped the 1X down to the correct size to make them all even. Then followed GMC Pauls edge measurements. I made the cuts with a wobble blade.
Then jigsawed out the wheel tubs, drilled the holes for everything, then routered out the backsides of the boards for the bed bolts.

Then I taped off the topsides and spray painted the undersides with truck bed liner.

The thing I kind of worried about the most was what kind of finish/look did I want it to have. I looked at what everyone else was doing but couldn't find the right combo of everything that I wanted. Pine wood, black rails and red/orange truck. I didn't want to have a super nice wood finish because I knew it would be scratched and used. But I didn't want to go simple and throw plywood in, and paint it.

So instead of trying to decide on a stain for the pine, I decided to 'Burn' the wood. Took a plumbing torch and passed over it until the grain started to show through.

And this is the end result with just burnt wood.
stesch_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote