The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

4 Hour 4" Lift

I'd have to think a while to be able to say how many lifts I have installed. Went to finally do my '72 and it started off great. Everything unbolted with ease and even the steering arm wasn't a bear. Like I said, been there done that. Well, I guess I am too confident because I overlooked the need to do a valve job as part of it. Ok, not usually true, just this time. I actually had the springs installed, but when it came time for the longer hoses it got to be more than 4 hours. I decided, to make things easier, I'd pull the headers to make disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses to the lines easier to access. Held off on the shocks, too. Well, to take the headers off you need to pull the spark plugs. No biggy. I do the passenger side and get it all done no BFD. I go to the driver side and break one spark plug porcelaine. get the hose done and now it's time to get that plug out. I had been soaking it to have it ready to go. Ugh, that sumbugger is tight! I pt heat on it and try...no luck, won't budge.Ok, I have the cure, a BFBB (that's Breaker Bar). How did it go? the dang hex busted off and now I have just the threads and tip in the head with no way to grab on. GREAT! I tried a square ez-out...with heat, NO DICE. I mean I had a long 7/16" open end with a pipe on that with heating. So off with the heads! I knew I had some issues with this engine (another story) but it ran strong and was letting me wait...till now. I said if I pulled the head I would be rebuilding it. I suspected coolant was getting in, kept changing oil frequently while not driving all that much. Ran strong, but a valve was sticky on start up till it got warm. I felt I was ruining the 350 and had plans to build a 383 when money allowed. Bet the head off and no surprise, coolant residue in that cyl around the exhaust valve. The other surprise was an engine just as clean as back in '91 when I rebuilt it! The heads are in for a valve job...and spark plug thread removal from one cyl.

Not sure I want to do any more lift kits for a while

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote