The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
jmlcolorado

Re: 68 C10/international L110 Mut

Well ladies and gentleman. The search for a 4bt donor has ended.
I had my mind set on driving to OKC next month to pick up a bread truck, bring it home, pull the motor then scrap the rest. It would have a pricy venture but I would have gotten the engine.

Scouring ebay the other day and stumbled across one, just one singular add for a 4bt conversion in a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500.
Seemed to look pretty good so I placed a bid. And for 3 days the price didn't change.
Guy said he had posted the build on 3 different forums so I tracked them down and read them all... A few times. And the more I read, the more I wanted.
I buy on ebay all the time but it's always a Buy It Now auction. It's been a very long time since ice actually done a real auction on eBay, and I don't think I ever won before.

Truck is 1200 miles away, so contemplated shipping. Placed an add on uship and am getting prices back between $1k and $1300.
Figured I could drive out myself and pick the thing up for less then that, and have more fun doing it.
So called up my buddy to see if he was in (more like, to see if his wife would let him go) on such short notice.
This morning, 2 hours before the auction ended, he got the thumbs up. That queued me to raising my highest bid. I figure if I'm not going to ship it, I'll roll that into what I would be willing to pay, minus cost to drive out.

Last 20 mi Utes of the auction was the most nerve racking 20 minutes I've had in a long time..... And a few souls tried taking this away from me by attempting to bid......but it was already long set in my head that this truck was mine.

So here's what we're looking at.
1999 crew cab short bed 2 wheel drive 1500.
4bt
47re trans which he says previous owner just rebuilt, and based off the pictures from when he did the swap. The trans was all shiney pretty, so I'll assume it's rebuilt.
He's done mods to the Injection pump already which you diesel guys will know, wakes these trucks up a little.
He has an Hx30 turbo on it with a modified 6bt exhaust manifold flipped up side down. This places the turbo in the primary spot for compound setup
See where I'm going here?
He also has 5x16 I jectors i. The truck, which is basically 200 horse injectors. These are quite large and more commonly seen in 1000hp 6bt's.
He also has a second turbo he was working on setting up as the compound
4" exhaust. All factory amenities in the truck work, ie AC, Heat, power options, and so on. Only thing not working is the tach.
He has about 2,000 miles on the truck since the swap and he says its broad worthy. Only issue is it has an AG pump with industrial governer on it, so it's not quite as forgiving as a road governer. His mods to the pump help this, but it's still not the best governer for a street truck. This particular governer is more commonly seen in 6bt sled pulling truck because they fuel heavy. This will be charged to a road governer once I have the truck.

So here's the plan, I can't miss a ton of work, so need to utilize the weekend here.
This Friday were leaving denver at 3am in my truck. Were going to take the 18 hour drive to San jose California (technically 45 min east).
Hopefully roll in late Friday night and crash.......and crash hard. Gonna be a long drive.
Saturday meet and buy the truck. Spend the rest of saturday driving the truck and getting a feel for it, in the hopes that we can catch anything it might need before the trip home.
My buddy has friends and family in San jose so we're going to visit them for the day and crash there for the night.
Sunday, 3am roll out. I will rent a 2 wheel vehicle dolly for my truck. My buddy will drive my truck back, and I'll drive the "new" one.
I'll drive it till something breaks, and If I can't fix it on the side of the road, up on the dolly it goes for the rest of the drive.

Weather looked awesome for the drive, up until the moment I bought the truck, now denver is going to get snow from about 8 hours ago all the way through Sunday. Fantastic
February total at the house is 17" and that was really all in the last week. 3' piles in front of the house tonight. I70 closed due to multiple wrecks.

I really don't see how anything could go wrong with this plan
BUT, if something does, I've got the GoPro and it'll be documented for all to point and laugh at me at a later date

Anyone here watch Roadkill TV!?
Yeah, that's how this whole thing is lining up.
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote