The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

Re: New parts, now won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Good grief I know you're trying to help but sometimes you don't give me any credit for having listened and learned a little. I'm not just takin shots in the dark here, I've done a lot of research and reading and figured out exactly what I need and what will work best. Almost everything I read is David Vizard and I think you'll agree he's pretty awesome. The new distributor comes from the factory with very very heavy springs in it. The specs are 24 degrees all in at 4000rpm. That's too much timing and way to late for my combo to work the way it's designed to and run efficiently. The springs and weights I put in limit the mechanical timing to 22 degrees, and it's all in at 3000 rpm. This is very conservative relatively speaking, and will run 10x's better than it did out of the box. I bought this specific MSD distributor so that I could make my own timing curve because with my combo of heads cam intake and carb, the factory setting won't work.

No starter button YET, I didn't turn the motor over while doing the distributor change, and I took pictures of the rotor so I could put it back right and was only one tooth off.

Just help out in my threads instead of jumping in to EVERY single one I post and bashing me.
We're not there we only "see " what you write ,not bashing you! something that gets overlooked by many guys is what works perfect for a guy in Florida may be totally wrong for someone in Colorado , fuel type , air density ,ambient temperature , elevation all play a part in combustion. I've never heard of David vizard nor have I ever read a book on setting up an engine all my experience is hands on and seat of pants in the driver's seat evaluation . Books don't build engines they build dollars from selling books .sometimes I forget that I was lucky enough to grow up around some of the fastest most creative custom guys in the country in their day no books required . One of my high school buddies is a very sought after LS tuner based in Indianapolis and flies all over the country just to tune engines , we grew up with a distributor wrench in our back pocket and turned wrenches for a living ! experience doesn't come from a book ,we were doing engine swaps and valve jobs at 15 that was very long ago ! grab a wrench and get greasy . I play with these old trucks because they are old school muscle ,once you add computers and such they turn into late models Pm sent .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-23-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote