The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
[JP]

Suspension options help please

Hello everyone…
Need some help here if you were so kind to share your knowledge and experience on this.

After much work since my truck got to the UK I have been happily enjoying driving it…. But….. suspension!
Its really bothering me and would like to know what would you experienced people would do.

Facts:
I love the stance.
The height, front and back is spot on, just as I want.
Would like to keep it just as is.

What have they done:
Cut the front springs too much – it’s so cut that they have chopped the rubber stop bracket and put a chain link to stop the spring from popping out.
Rear – seems ok, looks like drop springs in the back.

Problem:
When going over potholes on the road, like small holes where your tyre just fits (not sure if in the US you use the term potholes), the sound of metal banging together is making my heart bleed. (I need to put my gopro underneath and drive around to check what exactly is happening)
When going over slight depressions and bumps, say like a roller coaster, it feels like it bottoms out on the shocks. I don’t get the harsh metal bang but get the bottoming out sound.

What I would like:
To keep the ride height I have now but stop the harsh banging of metal.
Dont need to have air ride to drop it all the way to the floor but thought air ride could be a way of stopping the banging and at the same time keep the truck at the height I like?

What are my option here? What do you guys think is happening?
If I was to get new shocks, maybe heavy-duty shocks would it stop it from going down to harsh?

I don’t want to go down the drop spindles route as then I have to add disc brakes etc etc….

Or should I go down the air ride route? If so.. what exactly do I need?
I have seen the kits, seems pretty easy but if adding air ride, then what about track control arm, like the rear one? Doesn’t it need to change as the ride height goes up and down? Do I need one of those 4 link arms?

Thanks!