The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2016, 02:52 AM   #1
jerimy75

Centering Bed Floor - Am I being too anal?

I'm going to attempt to make this as concise as possible. I appreciate any thoughts or experience on the matter. Sorry for lack of photos, I can take some and provide additional dimensions if it will help, but I'm looking for more of a general opinion. Thanks in advance!

I've installed a rear Porterbuilt weld-in Mild Notch on my ~71 C10, followed the directions and still had a few fitment issues that I didn't realize until I started mocking everything up. Generally speaking the frame is square (I think it's within tolerances? max of 1/4" off), but when I put my bed floor on (no sides, just the floor) and center the bed based on the rotor face to the edge of the bed, the dimension from the edge of the bed to the frame rail near the rear of the frame is about 3/4" off, and the front (at the second bed mount back) is about 1/4" off, both offset to the drivers side. I was able to get the front and rear measurements within a 1/16" (centered on the frame), but now the measurement at the rotor face is 3/16" offset to the drivers side. Moving the floor to center one dimension would make the other worse.

This is all with the axle and frame at approximate ride height. The axle is centered in the frame (measured diagonally from each of the front bed mounts to the center of the axle). I do not have the weight of the frame on the axle so that might be a factor. I know that I can adjust the track bar to move the ~3/32 (half of the 3/16" offset) needed to center the axle relative the bed floor.

As I write this, I'm convincing myself that it is the 1/4" out of square that is causing the 3/16" offset. I know it's the right thing to do and I will, but I'd prefer not cut the notch out and make it square (hard enough to find time to work on this as it is).

Am I over thinking this? Will this 3/16" offset haunt me as I measure and purchase tires and wheels? Will the offset, or correction of the offset with the track bar haunt me with poor handling and a dog walk when the pickup is finished? Thanks again for reading!
jerimy75 is offline   Reply With Quote