The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Building myself a new shop, what kind of materials do you guys use??

Well, my interest in restoring these trucks and building motors is growing fast, and right now I'm using a 1 or 2 car detached garage, that just won't do anymore. It started with buying my 1970 c10 LWB for an occasional weekend cruise or run to the store in town, and has grown into a hobby that has proven to be very good at gettin me out of my head and focused on something fun while I'm at it. My wife has also recently requested that I build her a 73 K/5 after seeing the work I've done on my C10 lol. A year ago building an engine seemed like brain surgery, and then I made that thread about "identifying what cam I have", and with motivation and help from this site I wound up with a cherry picker and a motor on a stand stripped down and built back up thing is, I need room to sand and paint and do bodywork, and also need a 4 post lift, and a workbench for tools with a welder and air compressor lol.

I'm not set on a size yet, or what it's going to be built with. I kinda wanted to get some ideas and pictures from you guys and go from there. I've been in construction (mostly concrete, little bit of carpentry) for 15 years so I'm capable, just not that creative I suppose. I'm going to pour the foundation with concrete that part I'm sure of. It needs to be 12" thick where the lift will be placed but that's no problem. I've never done anything with metal studs or metal period, but it seems like it might be cheaper? I'm not trying to build some kind of high dollar legit mechanics workshop, just enough room to do the things I want to do and a little room to spare (you know, to fill with other stuff I really need)

Please share pics and stories of you shop or garage build so I can get an idea of what I'm in for, thanks guys

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote