The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Tquillen

New to the board, steel wheel question

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for some time, and have acquired a '69 longbed C10 that I have really taken a liking to. I have done a number of small projects such as power brake conversion, power steering conversion, gotten all the electricals working, serpentine conversion, etc, but I have one item that I need some advice on. I've done some searches, and I haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be keeping the drum brakes on the rear, but upgrading to the wider drum brake shoes/drums (I've already got the 4x4 backing plates to accomplish this). When I bought the truck, the front had already been converted from drum to discs, but the discs are 5x4.75" Chevelle rotors. I really want the larger diameter/thickness truck front rotors. I have not purchased anything for the front yet, and even though I currently have the 6 on 5.5" pattern on the rear, I'm certainly not married to that (I have the means and ability to plug/weld/redrill the axles, turn the center down, etc). I have decided to try to find a set of five (I want a spare) steel wheels that will accept the Chevrolet hubcaps that I already own, but I'm havng a horrendous time finding anything in the local yards with either a 6x5.5" or a 5x5" pattern. I'd really rather not buy new, since I've heard horror stories about a lot of the new steel wheels having out of round/warpage issues. What other truck/van applications have you guys used steel wheels from on our trucks? Ford? Dodge? Is there anything I need to look out for in terms of backspace or disc brake fitment with the non-GM steel wheels? Obviously, center cap fitment is important to me.

Thanks for any and all assistance and advice!

Travis Quillen
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote