The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
GR8-68

Grandpa's 72

So I found this 72 on craigslist, it was listed as this was my grandfathers truck. It had only been listed for a few hours and the asking price was 500.00. They were not real detailed pics but from what I could tell it appeared to have tilt column and I knew it was an air conditioned cab. The truck was only 40 minutes from me so I sent them a text and they said they would be at their shop in 30 minutes where the truck was located.

Finished my last cup of coffee and out I headed. I arrived and was greeted by the man and his wife e journeyed to the back of the yard where I found the truck pushed down over the hill up against an old dumpster. Let me tell you pictures can make things a whole lot better than they really are. I checked the truck over thouroughly, and I will tell you as I am doing this I am adding up where I can recover any costs with parts. She begins to tell me the history behind the truck her grandpa bought the truck in 1974 and drove it up until the early 90's and then it was parked. She had inherited the truck from him but they were unable to afford the work it needed to get it fixed.

I looked this truck over for almost 45 minutes before finally making an offer of 400.00, he kind of put his head down gave her a look she shrugged her shoulders and he shook my hand, deal made. I went and rented a trailer and as I come back he said are you going to fix this or use it for parts ? I said I really am not sure but at least it won't be rotting in the weeds right. HE said, this is true.
We got the truck pushed up on the trailer a I looked over I seen a trail of tears stream down her face. I reassured her it is going to a good home as she gave a little smile.

After I brought it home and cleaned her up of course I had to post a few pics of my new prize a member informed me it was just not an average 72 but that it was a highlander, after much thought and seeing the condition after cleaning him up, my wife and I decided this would be the next great project. I contacted the p.o. and told her we have decided that this would be our next frame off restore project she was so excited.

So here is the beginning of our journey into c10 land with "Grandpa's 72"

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote