The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #13
Gmc.guy

Re: Insurance - Had Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yep, up north of the border here we call it a 'graduated licensing program'...and its a good thing and a long time coming.
Years ago, I got my license about 3 weeks into being 16 and that program was not around at that time. However, to be quite honest I was probably not responsible enough to be in charge of 2 tons of accelerating steel.
With that said, teenagers unfortunately today are even further behind the curve on being mature and responsible (thanks Mom!!...lol) enough to handle a vehicle without a lot of restrictions helping control that.
As a result, I'm a fan of it....
I think the graduated licensing program has them having a mandatory 'N' attached to the back of the car...then after 1 year then get a 'L', then a year later they can have a full license.
In the meantime...they can only drive during daylight hours up until 10 at night. If there are other teenagers in the car, there has to be an adult present in the car too....a few things like that.
Again, a good thing.
If we had kids at home I would have them lock their phone in the trunk in front of me everytime they left for the first 10 trips out of the yard. I know they would retrieve it within a block the first 9 times...but I would hope they would at least consider giving it a pass on the 10th time....knowing what it would mean to me to 'leave it alone' until you get there.
A cell phone in their hand or beside them will injure or kill them long before their lack of driving ability.
My two bits.
Coley
I agree. There's also the zero tolerance for alcohol until graduated. I think that helps a lot too