The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #18
leftybass209

Re: 383 stroker running too hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstock1962 View Post
Lefty, I agree about the radiator. My original thought was to replace it with a 4 core. My current radiator doesn't have a trans cooler built in, so that's why the cooler you see in the picture is there. If I install a 4 core aluminum with built in trans cooler, can I get rid of the little unit blocking my air flow? Or is it still needed in addition to the radiator for TH400 cooling? If so, another reason to upgrade to a 4 core.

In the mean time, going to install this new fan clutch which should definitely increase my air flow.

If I replace the radiator, also going to drill the 1/8" hole in the thermostat at the same time. Will also re-adjust the total timing down to 36.
Do some research on 4 row vs 2 row in regards to tube size. For me, a 2 row champion with 1 inch tubes was more effective than a 4 row. 4 row radiators require different top and bottom brackets. The bottoms are riveted, so it would be a little more difficult to do in the truck, but still doable.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote