The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
lilshep2010

Motor Mounts/Motor Positioning

Long story short, I'm installing a new motor in my 71 and running into a few issues. My stock motor mount brackets were a little rough (someone decided to use a torch and make one of the holes a bit bigger) so I replaced them with the brothers tubular mounts. They are similar to the POL design (almost identical actually).

Whenever I went to install the motor, we realized that the brothers mounts moved the motor back farther than the old ones. So we unbolted the trans and pushed everything back to bolt up the motor. Then we realized that the driveshaft was bottomed out in the trans and was obviously too long.

So the next step is to either buy new motor mounts or modify the driveshaft.

A little backstory that may be helpful: with the original mounts I was having header issues. I've got longtube heddman headers that were rubbing the backside of the a-arms. With the new mounts installed I've got about an inch of space. Basically I'm not completely sure I had the right mounts originally. They appear to be 67-72 mounts, but they aren't fitting right. Also, they have about an inch of forward offset from the center and the brothers mounts have about a a half inch of forward offset.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?