The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Radiator trivia

On an aluminum radiator, is it actually better to only have 1 or 2 rows as opposed to a big 3 or 4 row brass OR aluminum radiator? I was talking to a guy about radiators because I am in need now that my factory 3 row brass one has a leak near the inlet snout, as well as 20 years of rust and other buildup on the coolant tubes. This guy told me that I should get a 2 row aluminum radiator instead of a 3 or 4 row aluminum one that I was about to buy, and his reasoning was that with less rows, the aluminum could dissipate heat better than a bigger radiator could. Is this true? I'm looking at Champion Radiators because everyone on this website who has one loves it. The Champion website has a 2 row aluminum that is said to cool up to 500hp, and they offer a 4 row aluminum that cools up to 1000hp. That is the opposite of what this guy told me, but I usually get a lot of good tips from him bein's he's been drag racing and building cars for a long time.

Even if a 3 or 4 row is overkill for my truck, I'd like to know the answer to the question I'm always learning and appreciate all you guys for helpin along the way

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote