The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
heliguy02

54 chevy truck with NV3500 5 speed starter problems

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I am sure someone here can maybe help.
I have a 1954 Chevy truck with a s10 frame swap. I am using a 1978 305 engine from a Camaro. I am using a Nv3500 transmission from a 1989 silverado.
The engine came from with a automatic flexplate. I bought a 168 tooth manual flywheel for a 78 Camaro with 305. I am using the Silverado pressure plate and clutch. I am using a starter for a 78 Camaro with a manual trans.
Ok. Here is my question.. Is the stater for a 1989 Silverado 305 5 speed different that the 78 Camaro 305 manual trans. starter?
I have tried 2 different starters for a 78 Camaro 305 manual and neither one of them will turn the engine over fast enough to start.
The first starter I bought from Ebay. It was one of the those mini Hi-torque starters. It didn't work so I thought it was just a junk ebay starter so I bought one from Oreily's and it won't start the engine either. So I was wondering if maybe I need the 89 Silverado starter?
I have shimmed the starter everyway I know possible and no help.
I am using a brand new battery with full charge, brand new battery cables.
I can turn the engine over by hand with a short breaker bar with no problem. I even took out all spark plugs and the engine does spin a little faster, but still not fast enough to start.
I just can't figure out what is going on.
Any help or comment would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony
heliguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote