The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
FAKKY

Some concept ideas on soon to post build thread

Hey guys
So I'm picking up my 3100 Apache 1957 Panel Truck tomorrow. Original straight engine with a manual T5 transmission (I believe thats right)

I've been reading and researching a bunch of material and threads - learnt turning a wrench on a twin turbo diesel truck - my 1st foray in NA engine. So far I have the following potential build ideas. I'm interested to hear from people that have practical experience in any of them. There's a lot of material on the web .... so Im trying to learn from people that have been there and done it.

Here's where I'm at so far. Still early.

ENGINE- LS1/LS2 or LQ4/LQ9 series engine. $3000 Ballpark 350-400hp

ACCESSORIES - KWIKPERF Brackets and aftermarket AC - $2000

TRANSMISSION- 4l60E - $750-$1000 or Manual /T56TR6060 $1500 ?

CONTROLLER - USE STOCK ECM/TCU and WIRING reworked and programmed
$500
Else FITECH and all aftermakrket TCU/MSD 6LS etc - but dont think so based on cost.

SUSPENSION/BRAKES
C10 Frame and e-zchassisswaps mounts for welding - $500 + $750 = $1250
or
HEIDTS SUPERRIDE II -$3500

REAR END - No Idea yet. Depends on frame swap maybe.

FUEL - High Pressure Fuel pump kit ~$500

So - that's roughly where my head is at right now - here come the questions.

1) DBC or DBW. Im leaning to a fully integrated DBW - but any reason to really go DBC apart from throttle response/tuning effort?

2) How do I make sure that the transmission can physically fit under the chassis. For example - if I decided to do a 4L80E - how would I know if I could make it fit before buying it ?

3) I'm leaning to a full frame swap as I get full new boxed frame and IFS for less money than a welding in a front clip or IFS kit. But ??? Never done ither before ...... so open to thoughts/pluses/minuses.

4) What am I not thinking about Going to be a big learning curve for me when this moves from theory to reality. So want to nail the theory down as best I can first on best parts for the $$ to support a daily driveable and safe/fun street machine.

thanks guys

FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote