The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
oldanvilyoungsmith

46 barn truck. First things first.

Hey Ya'll, I'm new here, looking for some folks smarter than me to get advice from as I slowly take on this new project.

My wife and her brother inherited two 46 Chevy truck from their uncle several years back. Her brother lives an hr away, and is an IT computer guy, so I'm working on em.

The first one was modified, and is in fairly good condition. We need to put tires on it, but the 321 he put under the hood runs good.

The second one is unmodified, and hasn't been run since '95 (it was running before that, but you know how that goes). The engine I can tell is an I6, but I haven't gotten numbers or anything off it yet, so I don't know more than that.

My first goal was to use a wrench and see if I could turn the engine by hand and see if it's been frozen. From what I could see though, there isn't a nut on the front of the fan, it feels round to me. Any ideas on how else I could try turning it? I didn't want to just start pushing on the fan blades themselves.

Thanks ya'll. I've worked on my mid 80's trucks before, but barn finds are new to me, and I don't wanna get ahead myself before finding out if the motors gonna be good or not.

I'll post some pictures of the motor in a second.

Stephen.
oldanvilyoungsmith is offline   Reply With Quote