The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
BILT4ME

70 GMC Dana 60 FF Rear Axle Swap to ????

We have a 1970 GMC 3/4T K2500 4x4 350/4 SP with a Dana 44 front and a Dana 60 FF rear. All the numbers on the truck match from the axle housings to the engine and transmission , VIN on frame and cab.

Unfortunately, the yahoo that owned it previously has shelled the R&P at least once, and the spiders at least once, then welded in the center pivot pin to the carrier.

So now I have looked into getting a new R&P (4.10) a Detroit Locker to have them installed for $1400+/-. Then I start looking at the 30 spline axles and discover that the splines are half worn through. The axle shafts are $200 each.

Then I look at brakes. The shoes are shot, the wheel cylinders are shot, and I need to check the ID of the drums to make sure they are within spec. Assuming they are NOT (Since everything is worn out on this truck), then figure another $100 each for the drums. That means I will have about $2300 in the rear axle after I install new wheel bearings and seals, brake drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, R&P, Diff.

What other year/brand axle came in a 4.10 version that I can purchase and install under this same leaf spring truck and it will have e-Brake cables still on it? I don't care if it is disc or drum rear brakes at this point. Hell, if I need to, I'll buy the front AND rear axle assemblies as well as the power brake booster and sway bar from the same 4x4 and install all of it under there.

I COULD go to the point of 100% restoration, but that seems excessive for the cost of the rear axle alone.

The front axle is a Dana 44 with open knuckles and drum brakes. Both of the hubs have a race spun in the hub. Since it was a one-year-only setup, where do I get hubs? Again, cheapest way to get front and rear axles from a newer truck and maybe upgrade to disc brakes in the process......

All advice requested.