The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
47 Fasttoys

More AD seat info

OK, so I know there a few threads on which seat is best for the AD body style. Well here's my input. Why not rebuild the original? cost, and at 6'2" I needed maximum leg room.
First off I have been running a '90 Chevy Silverado 40/60 bench in my AD for the last 49K miles. This seat fits very well, and in good shape it makes for a good replacement for the original. Issues with the Silverado 40/60:. If installed in the normal configuration the driver is positioned to the left of the steering wheel, if you reverse and go with 40/60 this eliminates that part. The second issue is recovering, the seat seat foam is vacuumed to the seat material when built new, this makes it next to impossible to remove the old material for replacement. If you can find a shop who has done it your looking at $500 to start. Not in My budget. My third issue with the Silverado seat: in my case the foam was collapsed to the point that I felt a support bar against my back while driving. On long trips this became an issue. If your just tooling around town, no big issue.
The Astro seat: I just finished the install of an second row Chevy Astro van seat in my AD. I found a pair of matching 2nd and 3rd row Astro seats from a '87 model, the only difference is the 2nd row has an arm rest on the right side. I got lucky in that both of these seats are in great shape and had basically been setting in a garage for years, they are also the correct color for a future repaint of my interior. The width is narrower the the Silverado. This puts the driver centered on the gauges and steering wheel. I was able to modify my seat adjusters from the Silverado so the Astro seat is now adjustable. Comfort? not sure on this yet, I'll give a report on this after a few thousand miles. I will be running up to the Charlotte Auto Fair tomorrow (300+ mile round trip) so I'll get a good idea. The seat cover on these appears to be removable which is a plus. I will build some side covers later hide the mounting system. In my case the whole seat mount tilts forward for panel access (mid engine).
Rob