The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Spline64

Reliable HEI, is there such a thing?

I just replaced my HEI distributor last year with a summit Accell HEI while trying to troubleshoot what I thought was an ignition problem. Well it wasn't an ignition issue but I figured since I did it, would be one less thing that I would have to replace down the line. I now have an $86 tow bill that tells me different. The ignition module in my 1 year old distributor went out.

I've seen threads suggesting all different brands but most say you should always try and go stock (AC Delco). Since AC Delco doesn't seem to manufacture parts any longer it looks like I have to deal with what is out there. I do have a distributor with the original 1982 ignition module in it but it is 34 years old and considering the location of the distributor and the age of the module, it is easier to replace the entire distributor than to change the module (for me anyway) and I never want to replace this thing again.

So, if we have to deal with poor manufacturing I believe that there is something else I need to address that burnt the new module out. I have read some suggestions:
1. Add a additional ground wire
2. Always use thermal compound (given)
3. Correct voltage to the distributor (must be 12 vdc, not under)
4. Defective tachometer (don't have one)
5. Coil matched to ignition module

Is there anything else you guys can think of that could prolong the life of the ignition module?

Thanks,
Pat
Spline64 is offline   Reply With Quote