The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
peeblesj

3.08 open to 3.73 posi question

Hey Guys,

I have been researching on here for a few days and I am still not 100% clear on my question. What I have going on is a 1969 C10 with leaf springs. It has a 3.08 open rear end. I bought a 3.73 posi out of a 1968 C10. The problem is is that the posi came from a coil spring truck.

I bought new perches for the leafs to weld onto the coil spring axle housing. My plan was to weld those on, but then I came across the shock mounts on the axle housing. Bottom shock mounts on a leaf truck went on the axle tube, bottom shock mounts from a coil truck go to the trailing arms from what I can tell. So I would have to cut off the mounts and weld those on too.

My question is, is it worth the hassle to mess with the perches and angles etc. Or can I take everything from the posi and have it put in place of the 3.08 gears. I have read about the carrier series differences and that is what I am concerned about. Will the 3.73 posi be able to be put in the 3.08 rear end? I would have a professional do the install and shimming etc.

So, drop the entire rear end out and put the complete 3.73 posi in and weld in the new perches or swap out the internals? Thanks in advance guys!!
peeblesj is offline   Reply With Quote