The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Upgraded heads recommendation for my 87?

My old truck just needs more power. Its not gutless, but its pretty far from great too. So I've got a few questions regarding upgrading the cylinder heads on my 1987 Silverado 5.7L. It has the stock engine. I'm looking to just bolt on a new upgraded set of heads (and maybe a few other necessary parts) and leave the stock bottom end. Not looking to pull the engine out or anything like that.

1. What are the best possible bang for the buck heads that will fit my 87 350, that are cast iron? Please be very specific because I'm not real familiar with this topic.

2. What are the best bang for the buck heads, that are aluminum?

3. Is there any reason I should buy aluminum instead of iron?

4. What kind of power increases can be expected from both sets? I assume that by now, that should be pretty well known by the 350 community.

5. What other parts should also be bought at the same time, to maximize the potential of the new heads? Don't want my old stock parts to be choking them out and hindering their power somehow.

6. Is there anything else that you think I should know, regarding such an upgrade? Please keep in mind that I just haven't dealt much with these old 350's. Aside from standard maintenance and just replacing consumable parts like spark plugs and distributor caps and oil pressure sending units and the like. Most of my work in daily life, is all done on modern engines, usually 4 cylinders like hondas and toyotas and such.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote