The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
gigamanx

Help identifying parts -- ignition, brakes, e-brake

Hey all, digging further into my 1949 Chevy and running into some identification issues. For those who might have caught my previous threads, the truck is a 1949 but some components like the rear axle, transmission, and engine, are from a later year. The guess is 1960 because of the 235ci engine.

1. The ignition needs to be replaced but it matches none of my wiring diagrams I ordered. There are four wires. Left wire goes to the engine bay but is bare and not connected to anything. Center has two wires and I don't know what they are for. Right wire is definitely thicker maybe 10GA and goes out to the fuse box. I'm not sure it actually connects to a fuse box or just happens to route past it. Haven't found the destination yet but the wire is yellow with red flecks. What is the correct ignition to buy and where does that left wire connect to?

2. The brake master cylinder is pretty corroded. It seems easier just to replace it than try and restore it. I just want to be sure that I'm getting the right one if I order the 1947-1949 brake master cylinder. I'm basing it on the boot style.

3. The emergency brake seems to be the original and all of the rods are still there. When I depress the pedal it goes down and up but nothing under the truck happens. I noticed the pedal is somehow tied to this rod directly under the floor. I can't find a replacement for this anywhere. Any guesses on what I should look for? I am guessing from the rust that it doesn't move because the brake pedal is not attached to the bar that is supposed to turn.

thanks for all your help. The journey continues!
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote