The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
mzsigler

Is my brake pedal high?

I just picked up this truck as a project. I don't have anything to compare it to, and I haven't driven a truck like this in maybe a decade or more, so I'm just checking before I start chasing a problem that isn't there.

The brake pedal seems insanely high to me. The brakes are also SUPER weak, like, if I stomp the life out of them they will eventually lock up the tires a little, but there's what feels like 12" of very spongy travel first. i drove it back from picking it up leaving like 15 car lengths between me and the nearest car because the brakes were downright scary to me. Also, I found a NAPA receipt for a master cylinder the in the glovebox, so the previous owner was obviously working on the brakes too.

Like I said though, it's been a long time since I drove one of these and my current weekend fun car is a 96 Miata with aftermarket pads, so maybe I'm just not used to 35 year old truck brakes.

Here's a pic of the interior where you can at least kinda see the pedal position. I turned up the exposure to make it visible.

I can take better pics and measure on Tuesday when I'm back at the shop, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is abnormal just based on this picture so I can do some research while I have downtime.

I'm short, 5'6", and I have to like fully bend my knee to raise my leg up high enough to hit the brake pedal. Seems F'ed to me. What do you guys think?
mzsigler is offline   Reply With Quote