The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
dawsonthompson

New to site and Need Rear end advice

Hey guys I'm new to this site well at least to joining. I have been in the process of building a 66 swb My father bought me the truck my senior year in highschool for 1500 came with lots of rust no motor three speed trans i think and a clear blue Texas title. Body wise i have cut out and put in new rockers inner rockers cab corners rear cab supports and many different sections of the cab floor by bending/fabbing up my own patch panels. I then sealed my welds and rhino lined the inside and underside of the cab. Motor and trans wise i rebuilt a BBC 454 bored .40 over dome top piston 396 crank mild cam rebuilt some 396 head by putting new performance valve springs cleaning up the carbon build up and reseating the valves, aluminium intake, and then a Holley 850 double pumper for the trans i purchased a TH400 with a 2500 stall. The truck has many other parts sitting and more piling up since I've graduated highschool and started working.

However now to my question i have the stock rear end and know i need to upgrade to something beefier i want to do a posi but I am curious if i should purchase something like the eaton 12 bolt posi kit or go to the junk yard and pull a posi out of a later chevy and weld my perches to it. In yalls opinion what will be stronger easier to bolt in and if i do go to the eaton does my yoke change do i have to get a new one?? These might be stupid questions but honestly i have no idea and other forums didn't go as in depth as i would like to know at least the ones i read didn't

I will post pictures soon
dawsonthompson is offline   Reply With Quote