The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
rgunlock

Stereo recommendation - starting from scratch in 78 GMC K15

I've searched this site and googled in general, quite a bit. Looking for recommendations for entire stereo system for my 78. I know squat about stereos and the more I read the more bewildered I get. I've been searching for a "buy this, this and this, and you'll be satisfied with the result". Can't find it! Haven't a clue how to match up head unit outputs to an amp to speakers, etc.

I know there will be a million opinions and I'm willing to sort through them. I'm an older fella and like country and classic rock along the lines of Journey and Boston. Not looking for a high-end killer system and don't want to go broke putting together a system, but I do want the system to sound clear in my old squarebody. I am doing a full restore on this truck with sound deadener and new weatherstripping, etc. so hopefully I won't have to overcome wind noise, etc.

My doors haven't been cut, so I'd prefer to leave them intact. I did purchase some cab corner 6x9 brackets from member BigBlock73 so I do want to use those. My dash has been cut by the PO, but original metal was just folded back where the knobs come through. Could go retro or modern, but I prefer to keep it simple. Don't want to have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to operate my new stereo, i.e. I "like" having push button presets!

I listen to FM radio 99% of the time. I like a scan function when I'm traveling, but most of the time a couple of presets suit me fine. I'd like to be able to use iPod or iPhone for my stored music, and cable connect is fine. Bluetooth is a plus I'd say, but I don't talk on the phone when I'm driving so it would just be to play music off the phone. Don't need satellite stereo.

I know this is a pretty broad "ask", but an end-to-end parts list or a link to such a parts list is what I'm looking for. I don't have any ambition to become a stereo expert so I'm tired of trying to sort it out, but also know I don't want to pay for a custom audio shop to do this for me. There are likely a bunch of us in this situation, so I'm hoping my subject line is something folks will get hits on if they are looking for the same thing.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote