The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

Who dctr

I am starting a new thread, splitting up the TRIPLE THREAT thread. This one is a build thread for my wife's 2005 Z-71 xtra cab shortbox. I am moving along on it at a nice pace and i really dont want to mix it all up with the other two trucks.

You might be wondering why the title of this thread is WHO DCTR ? Well my wife and i are both Doctor Who fans, I have been for a long time and when we met she had no idea who Doctor Who was so i made her binge watch all of the NEW Doctors. She is hooked. When we bought her 2010 Kia Soul a few years ago she wanted a blue one because she wanted to deck it out in DW stuff, the kia is brown(ish). So along comes this truck and, well, its BLUE, as you will soon see. I bought this truck from a towing impound yard for cheap. SWMBO has no idea that i bought it or that it even exists in my shop. After doing some thinking and then realizing that it was indeed blue, i figured this would be a good opportunity to decorate it up with some Doctor Who stuff. I have a list of DW things that i want to do to it, but the first thing that i could do was order a personalized license plate. EVERY thing that i could think of that would fit in 7 or less characters pertaining to the DW show was already taken. The only thing that i could come up with that was still available was WHO DCTR. This is hopefully going to be a short build with a lot of work, I am planning to present this to my wife as a christmas gift. 5 WEEKS FROM NOW!!!

This is how it looked when i bought it:

Ugly eh?

Now a little info on the condition of the truck when i bought it. just to give it some perspective as to where i am now and where i am going with the work that i am doing and what still needs to be done.

The truck was ugly when i bought it. hit squarely in the front between the frame rails, sorry no photos of this. the front sheet metal was fubar and needed to be replaced. the left side doors as you can see where also fubar. and if you look closely you can see there is a dent in the cab behind the left half door in the top corner. The bed is rough but totally fixable. The interior was rough as it was a pot farmers truck just extremely dirty.

Yeah, so, the body is rough.

I work at an auto recycler, we sell new aftermarket parts and used parts. so the story goes as follows on sheet metal parts:

Used front fenders
New hood
New radiator support
New front
New rear bumper
Used driver front door
Used driver side 1/2 door
Used Bed

The passenger side doors are totally fine, only one small shopping cart dent that i have seen so far. As mentioned the bed is rough but fixable, but hell with that, i just bought a beautiful correct color bed for cheap, the problem with the new to me used bed is that one of the bed bolts spun the welded nut off while the yard guys were removing it and thus it was deemed 'unsellable'. a little work and a little welding and i think it will be fixed better than new. the price was way right so i will give it a whirl and be happy with the outcome.

The cab had a little damage to the upper corner of the C pillar on the driver side, as you might be able to see in the picture, ain't hardly nuthin! Yeah right! i bought a cab corner and set out to fix the outer skin of the cab and asked my body shop guy for a second opinion and well S#!T! "4-6 hours on the frame rack oughtta fix it".

Used Cab

Well for less than the cost of 6 hours on the frame rack i picked up a cherry cab, wrong color of coarse. whilst the loader operator was maneuvering the loader to get the cab off the truck or on to the pallet (i dunno which) he ran into the cab with the fork and put a nice dent right in the passenger side half door jamb. figures huh? I am currently working on getting the cab scuffed down so i can shoot all the jambs and visible parts BLUE.

So the only original sheet metal parts that i will be using on this truck will now be the passenger side doors and the tailgate. LOL way beyond the point of no return so i just kept going. this hole is getting deep. I hit rock bottom and rented a jackhammer so i could keep digging.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote