The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Tquillen

Lowering a '69 leaf spring C10

I have looked for information on leaf setups on the 67-72 trucks, and how they compare to the later squarebody trucks, without a whole lot of success, so here is a question for those in the know:

I'm in the process of doing a mild (2"/2.5") drop on my LWB C10. This one has leafs instead of trailing arms. While looking at the prospects for doing a simple leaf shackle install, I noticed that there is not much room between the rear leaf spring eye and the bed floor crossmember that runs above it. In all, there is maybe 1.75-2" clearance. In order to achieve a 2.5" drop, my math says that I'm going to need to raise the rear spring eye mount around 4-5" or so, or drop both the front and rear spring eyes by 2.5". Is this correct? I can notch the bed floor crossmember if I need to, I'm just looking for the best way to get there from here. I am planning on doing some light (less than 5000 lb) towing, so I really would like to keep the leaf spring setup. I am also planning on installing airbag spring helpers/levelers for use while towing. If I do this, can I eliminate the bottom leaf to help drop it some? Will this hurt ride quality? When not towing, I'll use this truck as a driver. Not a drag truck, not a pro touring ride. So a nice, comfortable ride would be nice (I know leafs give up a little in this department).

Thoughts?
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote