The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Smurfeh

Hard to control in Heavy Winds

Truck Specs:
1984 4x4 K5 Blazer
5.3L 4L65e
10 Bolt front and Rear
Stock height/ Stock steering set up

As the topic says I'm having a hell of a time keeping the truck under control in heavy winds and actually under various other circumstances.. I myself am a mechanic and I'm slightly at a loss as to whats causing this issue.

During light in town driving its easier to keep it between the lines but requires more wheel input than it should require.

On Highway, I'm sawing with the steering wheel to keep it under control, the wheels center seems to be changing from time to time... and the amount of force required to move the wheel left becomes greater after every Right hand turn I make.. the force required to move the wheel to the right always remains constant, unless I jerk the wheel to the left quickly and then the amount of force required to move the wheel both directions is equal.. that is until I do another right hand turn.

I'm also taken for a bit of a ride to the right when the right side tire takes a bump, havent been able to notice if it happens on the left tire.

I got to a point in my troubleshooting that I wasn't finding anything wrong however the only thing in the system I haven't really inspected would be the steering colum and rag joint.

Items that have been changed in the last year:
- Steering Gear (Huge slop was present, replaced.. sector gear is now worn again because of this snag)
- Ball Joints (slight amount of play, they were due anyways)
- Wheel bearings (replaced because they were due in accordance with time on truck limits)
- Front Axle U-joints (I thought this was the original cause of issue, U-joint was hanging up during turns)
- Sway Bar bushings (They were cracked and squeezed out they were due)
- Front Leaf spring bushings (The Leaf bushing were replaced, however I can not get the one that attaches to the frame off the shackle, this is the only part I am having trouble finding)
- New Ubolts (Changed when I had leafs off for bushing replacement, They have been re/check torqued since install)
- ALL rod ends..

Pitman arm has not been replaced as it is in serviceable condition.

One thing I will mention is I had a friend do the sway bar bushings (I used the OEM style and know they are an ass to change without a hydraulic press) as he was reinstalling the sway bar. I asked him to respect the torque values on the Bolts attaching it to the perch on the leafs... he properly torqued the right side, but however he cross threaded the left side and decided it was best to drive it home with an impact, I got on it with a torque wrench to see how much he layed on it.. I maxed out a 400 ft Lb torque wrench and still didnt get any movement out of it.. I havent removed it because I am unable to find a new perch to replace it.

I'm scratching my head here.. hope someone has some insight for me.
Smurfeh is offline   Reply With Quote