The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #24
bd94s10

Re: Lost all electrical power? 73 C30

Everyone has posted great feedback. Many helped me when I had challenges with my 79 cranking. Here is my feedback:

-Def swap the battery as others have said. I have several extra batteries I keep on my tender at my place. After I got mine to crank (was an issue in the column so ran a push button start) I ended up having a battery that was on it's last leg. Swapped to a red top I had and blam.... helped a lot cranking

-The junction stud and the wires going to it should be checked as others pointed out. I have a Power Probe tool (cheapest place to get one is Amazon) and I was able to begin tracing wires and checking everything thoroughly. Def crawl up in the engine bay and track the wires come off the junction studs. With a power probe or test light you can ensure your getting power to each spot along the way with the key on

-I unbolted the fuse block at the firewall as it splits in two on the 79 (prob the same on your year). I found using the power probe on various connections on the fuse block showed most was in order and working fine. I found one connection that in addition to my column issue is causing mine not to start. The key is trace all the wires and check all the connections. I also used some cleaner on the electrical connections. See pics here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719517

-I actually cut out some wire that was nasty including a fuse link that may have been corroded. I replaced pieces that seemed pretty bad and crusty. My truck now starts fine off the push button.

The good news is the trucks are very basic overall. Although a tad stressful in the beginning you'll get it figured out!
bd94s10 is offline   Reply With Quote