The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Brad54

Axle questions... "If/Then, Pros/Cons"

Sigh... nothing is ever just simple!

I'm accumulating parts for a '62 K10 build.
It's going to be a simple off-road truck-- I won't be doing any rock-crawling. Light to medium trails, hunting deep in the woods, fence maintenance and limb clearing in farm pastures and such.

I have a factory Dana 44 rear with 3.55 and posi that I plan to go through (including rebuild the posi unit).
I've got two closed-knuckle fronts, but I just found an open-knuckle, manual hub disc brake 44 for $250--brakes and turning radius are the benefits there. I'll still have to rebuild it, and upgrade to a posi unit, and probably replace the gears since I doubt they'll match the 3.55 I have in the rear.

Factory skinny 6-lug steelies, which I love. (I've already got a pair of 4-nub for the front discs)

I just found a pair of 3/4-ton axles from a '85 K20, for $450.
8-lug, 10-bolt front and 14-bolt rear, 3.42 gears, Gov Loc in rear, manual hubs up front.

I've got 3.42 gears in my '61 Suburban with a 4spd OD, and I've got a 4spd OD for the K10 as well--I like that combination.

Pros:
Beefier rear axle, 8-bolt, matching gears front and rear so I won't have to buy new ones (save money).

Cons: $450 vs $250 for the Dana 44 I found. (I don't know what I'd be able to get when I sell the GMC leaf-spring Dana 44 I already have).
Gov Loc rear... bad reputation. Will eventually have to be replaced. It's a '85, so I don't know how much life is left in it now.
Wheels: I've got the 6-bolt Pizza Cutters, I'd have to find a set of 8-bolt Pizza Cutters, and that'll be a pain. Probably a wash, money-wise, as I can sell my collection of six-bolt wheels. (four 3-nub, two 4-nub, and four 15x8 4-nub)

SO, if you guys were going to build a light trail rig that'll also be your daily driver, would you keep going down the Dana 44 path once you were on it like I am, or would you change direction and go with the 10-bolt front and 14-bolt rear?

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School

Last edited by Brad54; 12-30-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote