The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What should I do first?
Air Ride 11 31.43%
Bodywork and Paint 14 40.00%
LS Swap 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 AM   #1
CaptainMorgan_SOS

Opinions on which direction to go with my GMC.

As the title suggests, I am looking for what direction to go with my 67 GMC SWB. I am at the point to where I have 3 options,each of which will cost me about the same, but I can only afford to do one of them right now.

Option 1: Air ride. Looking for a full system that includes new trailing arms (so I can replace the leaf springs), allows 4 corner manual control, but is also self-leveling. So far I am looking at:
- PB Level 2 front and rear deluxe kits combined with their Accuair E-Level kit with touchpad
- Thorbros E-Level kit with touchpad combined with PB Level 2 deluxe rear kit
- Pro Performance Pro 2 kit with E-Level, touchpad, two 3 gallon tanks and exo mounts

Option 2: Paint and bodywork. Send the truck off to someone to go ahead and do the bodywork. Would also like to get the truck painted either medium green (original color) with cream grill, wheels, and bumpers or a charcoal grey with black wheels, grille, and bumpers.

Option 3: LS Swap. This would include picking up a "low-ish" mile 6.0 with all accessories, wiring harness, and ECU. Then sending it to the machine shop to be rebuilt and beefed up a little, sending off the harness to be refit for this truck, and send the ECU off for a good tune. I would need a new EFI ready tank that would include the fuel pump and sending unit, Dirty Dingo engine mounts, and a Silverado radiator with electric fans. I'd do the install myself but farm out the other stuff.

I can only afford to do one of these options at the moment so that is what the poll is for. What would you recommend?

Where I stand: I am leaning towards air ride because the engine is in good shape and I could do the rockers, floor pans, and cab corner myself while I have the bed and cab off the frame. Currently the truck starts and runs great, shifts smooth, and handles like a runaway train off the track (read: badly). I've got the parts in the garage to add power steering and power brakes; I just need to get around to doing it.

Specs on the truck: Late 90s GM Goodwrench 350, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 600 Holley Carb, pretty nice sounding carb, long tube headers, new-ish exhaust, NV4500 trans, 12 bolt rear with 3.55s, leafsprung rear, straight body, and unknown drop spindles in the front. No AC, no heat, no radio, no power steering, no power brakes. Here is the truck in question along with its current condition:

Driver side rocker:

Passenger side rocker:

Passenger side cab corner:

Gauge cluster came with the truck. Gauges are nice, but I don't really dig the look.

Only other dings on the cab. Has a bend in the drip rail right there too.

Super inconvenient gas cap.

Bike is currently for sale to help fund part of the truck.

Replacement body parts I currently have. Both front fenders have already been replaced. Waiting on hardware to put in the inner fenders.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 01-16-2017 at 02:34 AM.
CaptainMorgan_SOS is offline   Reply With Quote