The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #11
msg

Re: Fixin Dixie - 66 Short Bed Fleetside

A few more hours of tinkering. I went ahead and welded up the other side just to be sure. Also I bought some square nuts that were nickel plated I think, so I took the sanding disc and ground the coating off all round then welded them in place. I have painted them with POR15 2 coats after I took this pic. Once it dries Ill start tacking it in, probably tomorrow.

On the front passenger pillar I remembered Vinceg had suggested welding the nuts to the patch panel that doesnt come with them. It was in a separate thread I had started when I was going to start making repairs to the cab and wanted advice. Here is a link to that thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=718071

Here is Vinceg's suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceg View Post
Also when you get to the point of bolting all the metal together in that area tack weld your nuts to the sheet metal inside the rockers. Ask me again how I know? When you need to loosen the bolts for adjustment and you have not secured the nuts getting in and tightening them with the outer rocker on is impossible. I had to cut an access in the inner from behind just to make adjustments.
So with that I made the addition as suggested.

A couple of the bolts are missing (or deteriorated-cant remember) so I bought a few at home depot and cut them down and used the grinder to chew up that end post to help it guide into the panel from behind easier.

The original bolts I clamped into a vise and wire wheeled the crud off to be able to reuse them.

More later...