The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Moarplease

Winter Upgrades

I picked up my truck early this past spring. Having enjoyed it this past summer and fall as I have been improving little thing along the way I had plans when it was time to lay it up for the winter. Here is how it sat before my winter to do list started

Plans are front steering (was going to rebuild the power unit on it, but going No Limit power rack), soften the ride of the rear suspension, and collateral items that arise.

Being a 1965 GMC 1000 means it came from the factory with rear leaf suspension. I have never known exactly what the drop was having not installed it myself. Having pulled the front suspension apart the truck has Western drop spindles (all seem to be 2.5" from my research) and CPP 3" drop springs. So the front is a 5.5" drop

The rear only looked to have a large drop shackle and being the springs were still over axle, they must have been severely sagged to give the rear an appearance of a 7" drop. I put the slapper bars on as I was getting ridiculous wheel hop once I fixed the pedal linkage to get full throttle out of the 350. Before removing....

Here you can see the drop of the springs and shackles (I had previously removed the 3 over load springs out of the leaf packs)

Continued....
Moarplease is offline   Reply With Quote