The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
ubtripn

Need your advice

I think I talked about this mod a long time ago and I did it on my sons Explorer and my other truck and so far so good but I want to be certain on my orange 68.

I have a 700R4 tranny, I have literally lost 3 transmissions in life from flushing or changing the fluid, I know this is a debatable topic but for this conversation let's assume I am going to avoid doing this to my truck.

So I want to put a ball valve with a little T handle in-line with my transmission fluid hose running to or from the radiator. (The kind of valve that changes flow down to an opening.) Every time I change the oil I will open the valve and pull one quart of old fluid and put that much new fluid back in through the dipstick filler tube on top. I figure this will "refresh" or keep the transmission fluid fresh. The rate might be two quarts per oil change, not sure yet.

My concern is that the valve I need to use has a smaller orifice that the hose. The end are tapered and ridged to put and keep each hose on. The question is - will this restrict the flow to the detriment of the transmission?

I believe it will not govern the overall flow but just change the flow rate in that region of the fluid circuit for lack of a better term. But physics can be tricky.

Please tell me what you think. Also, let's not talk about flushing or changing fluids doing or not doing damage to transmission. I know it's not supposed to but for me I am 0 for 3. Thanks all.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote