The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
THI

Hello from Michigan

Hi to all, I have several classic trucks and joined this site because of the 1970 K20 Suburban Custom I own. It is originally form Idaho, appears to have been a Fire Chief's truck and has 35,000 miles on it - but from the looks of the truck it was a very hard driven 35K!

The original engine was missing the original heads, replace with 1974 882's - one cracked exhaust manifold and one replaced with a mid 1970's low dump, trans and t-case both had junkyard markings and someone thought the Eaton HO72 would be better with a Lincoln Locker rather than putting it a Detroit Locker! When I pulled the heads I found that 7 of the cylinders had flat-top pistons and one was a dish piston, I even fount that the quadrajet was missing the booster rings - they had been blown out by a backfire!

For now I have a spare 350 block I bored and put new flattop pistons in and is ready for a set of Dart SS Iron Eagle heads, is balanced and short block assembled. I am waiting to get my TH400 and NNP205 back from the rebuilder - they were robbed out of my 1986 K30 parts truck and will replace the TH350/NP205 that came out of the Burb. I will also move the rear 14 bolt and Dana 60 form the K30. Eventually I will replace the 350 with a 402 big block, that will be a few years as I want to restore the interior and do some body work before I put that engine between the fenders.

I have worked on square bodies for many years and currently own too many of them! Will reduce the herd to my 78 Camper Special and 1990 Jimmy, the 1970 is something for my wife and I to take to local events and have room for grandkids to go places in a classic! My first vehicle was a 1969 C10 Custom long bed and sitting in the Burb for the first time felt very familiar.

This will be a slow work in progress, my goal for this spring is to get it running and on the road - the last registration on this truck expired in 1999! I also want to make sure everything works, such as the AC, which is not in the dash but an overhead unit that runs the entire length of the truck - a few of the under hood pieces (basically all of them) are missing, but the lines to the back and the rest of the unit are there!
THI is offline   Reply With Quote