The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
TechBill

Question about putting TBI in a 86 Chevy C10 305

If you have already seen my project thread over at

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728768

where my hood was stolen so the engine been exposed to the weather for the last 6 years. Somehow the water managed to work itself into the Quadjet carb rusting it pretty bad.

At first I thought it would be salvageable but after taking it apart then more rust I found inside and doing research to find that not every parts are widely available that I would be better off getting one of those re-manufactured electronic Quadjet.

I thought why not check into TBI and see if I could pull a complete TBI setup from a junkyard engine and install it on my 305 but I couldn't find any good website with a 305 DIY TBI conversion.

I started looking into kits and found many TBI kits that was primary for hot rods with a price tag close to 2,000 and more.

I have no desire to make this into a high performance truck. I only wanted a truck that runs good and reliable for my needs like hauling stuffs around that won't fit in my other vehicles.

Then I found this TBI kits which is about 900

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728768

which fit in my price range but I am wondering what a working 305 with TBI and complete ECM from a junkyard would cost me and if it will easily drop into my truck or I have to do major modification to it.

One other thing I haven't research is that would my existing tranny work with a TBI or I would have to swap it out too.

I welcome any inputs, feedback or if you have experience with TBI conversion either DIY or kits please share it with me. If you have a project thread on it then please let me know where the thread is and I will read up on it.

Thank you
Bill
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote