The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Camaroguy

What a thousand bucks and an education looks like

I decided a couple of months ago that I wanted to put a stock bench seat in my '68 c10. It had a seat out of a late model dodge pickup in it, but I never liked being able to see the headrests through the back window.

I did a little research and learned that there were two different kinds of seats (full foam/spring foam).

I started searching on cl until a found a seat that was out of a '70 4x4. I met the guy and looked at the seat, flipped it over and could see the bottom was all foam. I handed him 200 bucks and walked out. Mistake #1......this will come into play later on.

I then ordered a 350 dollar houndstooth cover from PUI. I was gambling the foam would be okay in the seat I bought.

The seat cover came in after a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I stripped the seat and decided the foam would be okay. I started to put the new cover on and immediately could see it wasn't going to fit. I disassembled the seat further and discovered the seat I bought was out of a '79......Now I'm 550 bucks into this deal and there isn't any turning back now.

A couple of days later, I was telling my dad about it, and he said he had a stock bench I could have in the yard of his shop. I checked out the seat, flipped it over and it was a full foam bottom.....score me! After stripping the seat, my dad tells me I need to take it and get it sandblasted and powder coated. I'm thinking to myself, I'm 550 bucks into this deal, I'll be happy with a wire brush and rattle can. However, you can't argue with your dad when he's giving you something, so off to powder coating it goes. 100 bucks later, I pick it it.

In the mean time, I knew the new seat was going to need foam so go ahead and order it. 300 bucks.

After getting all my parts in, I start assembly, and I discover there aren't two kinds of seats, there are three. And the third one is what I have. Full foam bottom, spring foam back.

At this point, I'm not going to be deterred, so I find a full foam back to compare my spring foam to. I discover I can remove the whole spring section of the seat and it modify my new foam and it might just work. So this is what I do. After removing the spring section and cutting down my foam, and paying someone to repair a minor tear repair on the back of the new cover (50 bucks), I am in business. It came out decent, and I did it myself.

I still plan to cut down the frame because I sit too high, but that's wont be a big deal..........I hope.
Attached Images

Camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote